Date:      03 Nov 2000 11:14:21 -0500
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Like to commit my diskprep

Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> writes:
>Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca> writes:
>> Wouldn't that tend to generally reduce day-to-day performance as well?
>> I suspect that Kirk and co. at CSRG had a good reason for choosing the
>> defaults they did.
>
>Certainly, but I believe these defaults were chosen nearly ten years
>ago (if not more) on hardware which we today charitably describe as
>"antiquated" :)

        At least 10 years; perhaps more, with primary drives that were
probably in the 40-100MB range, no on-drive cache, 100ms seek times,
and max throughputs of well under 1MB per second.

        Average file size may not have changed dramatically (though I'm
sure it's gone up), but it has changed, especially thickening of the tail
of the distribution (files over a few hundred K or a MB).

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com