Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 22:47:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Charles Jernigan <charlesj@cox-internet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help!

J McKitrick wrote to Charles Jernigan:

> You don't actually 'remove' anything.  Just re-format it.  Maybe it
> will be a low-level format, but it can be done without removing
> anything.  Fdisk should be able to do it.
>
> jm

Noooo..... One should never low-level format modern hard disk drives.
Low-level formats are done by the manufacturer, and, at that time,
additional track information is stored physically on the platter surfaces
that may be destroyed after a consumer low-level format.  Low-level
formats are almost *always* unnecessary... And, when they ARE necessary,
you are best advised to buy a new drive :-)

I think, though, what you mean is not "low-level format", but "repartition
in DOS and reformat in DOS".  In that case, you would be correct.

format != low-level format!  :-)

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2