Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 08:02:40 +0900
From:      westbay <westbay@seaple.icc.ne.jp>
To:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No Java applets in FreeBSD?

de Haan-san wrote:

> When using KDE 2, the version of Konqueror that comes with it supports any
> installed JDK. I haven't explicitly tried using JDK 1.2 or 1.3 features, but I
> have configured Konqueror to use the Sun JDK 1.3.0_02/Linux. Konqueror has
> improved a lot over ttime, trust me!

Can is handle scripting (LiveScript) control of Java?  I couldn't the last time I tried it.

I also tried very hard to get the Java Plugin to work with native (FreeBSD) and Linux versions of Mozilla 5/Netscape6, but to no avail.

I think it was with the native built version that I got enough feedback to see what Linux *.so files it was wanting.  And I added, and added, and added them to no avail.  I wasn't sure how the FreeBSD ELF mozilla would handle the Linux ELF .so files, but it seemed to have at least been trying.

The Netscape6 and RPM Mozilla 5's that I tried all seemed to have the debug information stripped, so I couldn't get any useful hints as to why it wasn't starting up the Linux 1.3.0_02 plugin.

The Linux 1.3.0_02 plugin DOES WORD for Linux Netscape 4.7x on FreeBSD.  But alas, JavaScripting still isn't available.

--
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/