Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 15:38:44 -0600
From:      Mike <muck@ida.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Screen Shot

Robert Watson wrote:

> I certainly don't debate the technical impressiveness of what has been
> achieved with the window-managers.  I was particularly impressed by the
> cleanness of the KDE interface (although I'd swear I'd seen some of the
> layout somewhere before :).  Did KDE ever figure out the licensing thing
> with QT?  I saw a post somewhere recently where they indicated they were
> working on an arrangement to fix the problem, but I don't know what came
> of that.  A lot of people have problems with the license, last I heard,
> due to its anti-commercial nature -- something that FreeBSD has rigorously
> advoided.
>
> I personally run olvwm -- I like the simplicity of the interface, as well
> as the consistency of the virtual window managing.  It also runs nicely on
> low-scale workstations.
>
> A nice screenshot of FreeBSD might be one that demonstrated its
> capabilities as an easy-to-manage web server (since that's real popular
> just now).  If we had emulation of more recent BSD/OS code, we could
> demonstrate the Netscape navigator with the Fasttrack web configuration
> interface in one portion of the screen, etc.  Unfortunately, what looks
> nice in a screen-shot is a nice gui admin interface -- which takes us back
> to the other conversation of choice. :)  I picture of ftp.cdrom.com would
> be a nice seller, however.  Perhaps with a slogan like, "This machine
> ships out more files than 26 Windows NT ftp servers at Microsoft", where
> 26 is the appropriate number.

According to Microsoft, ( http://www.microsoft.com/Misc/Mscomfaq2.htm )
they have 31 dedicated servers worldwide that have 8.7 gigs of data
available for download.  These servers are complemented by another 130
servers around the world.  I'll leave it to someone else to judge
wheather that's a lot of servers to use to offer 8.7 gigs of files for
download.

Funny thing is, by Microsoft's viewpoint, they probably think that
they're bragging when they say that they use hundreds of servers to
operate their web and download sites.

Mike

P.S.  Does anybody else but me think that you shouldn't quote the whole
friggin' message when replying?  Be kind on other people's slow links.