Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2000 18:05:58 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stand-alone routers,fbsd, & Dynamic ISP addresses

>ISDN from my only local ISP soon, but I am sure the IP
>they will give my router will be dynamic.

It will be much, much easier if you can obtain a fixed ip for the "outside"
interface of your FreeBSD router. of course, that would probably cost more
to rent.

>...If I can't
>locate an internal USRobotics Sportster 128k non-PnP,
>I will buy a Nortel RT338 stand-alone ISDN Router...

These "Nortel" are very nice boxes, but they are Nortel-badged and -boxed
Zyxel cards.  We use these boxes for all our ISDN clients.  You might look
at Zyxel price, they've come down in price recently, at least here in France.

We'd like to have the Zyxels dial into a FreeBSD "Remote Access Server"
router with a www.LanMedia.com 1504P channelized PRI card, but that seems
to be a ways off.

>My quandary is this.....how in the heck can I tell the
>fbsd box that the router,which doesn't have an IP from
>the ISP yet, is where packets are to be routed?

The zyxel box has two intefaces, WAN outside and Ethernet inside, of
course.  The outside will be the public ip DHCP'd from the ISP.

But did you know that the Zyxel's can be bridges only?  This may be your
best bet, since it seems that you want the Nortel/Zyxel to provide only an
ISDN interface and dialing functions, and maybe ip connection spoofing, for
when you fall asleep at the keyboard.

As to how you'd get the FreeBSD router to address the Ethernet inside of
the Nortel that has no fixed ip, I'll leave that to someone else.  vbg

Len