Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:23:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        philip@adhesivemedia.com (Philip Hallstrom)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to make FreeBSD's hard drive as reliable as possible?

> Hi -
> 	I was wondering what steps one can take to make the hard drive as
> reliable as possible on FreeBSD. By reliable I mean what can I do to
> ensure that if the power gets flipped off the box will come back up
> unattended in a usuable state.

As you have apparently discovered, the usual reason it might not come
right back up is fsck errors.    If the power is cut, there is a high
probability that some data is corrupted if the system is busily being
used with processes writing to disk.  If you are willing to lose those
pieces of data - which you will probably lose anyway, even with making
heroic efforts to recover it - then just set the fsck_y_enable=yes and
let 'er rip.  Probably you would just give y-s to the fsck prompts anyway.

A UPS is also helpful to allow a system to come back automatically and
can help with taking a system down more gracefully during power loss.

Mirroring and frequent backups are also essential, but of course, don't
quite recover automatically.

I don't think having softupdates on will matter much on how much you
recover after a power failure, though, maybe with a good UPS they
could actually help.

> - Some of the filesystems need to be read/write (/var for instance).  Is
> it worth setting /usr to read-only if nothing ever gets written to it
> anyway?

Probablly meaningless because if no files are open for writing in
the filesystem, then files won't be clobbered and thus won't cause
a problem for fsck.

////jerry