Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2003 09:15:56 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        michaela <michaela@mail.maa-net.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dump/Restore

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 03:04, michaela wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>      I had a question regarding Dump/Restore.  I just had to reinstall
> FreeBSD completely because of a problem, and now I wanted to RESTORE ju=
st
> the filesystem '/usr/home'.  Well, I went into '/usr/home', then tried
> "restore -rf /dev/sa0" to restore it.  When it's done all there is is t=
he
> "/" filesystem.
>
>      I know when I did a dump of four filesystems /usr/home was the ver=
> last filesystem I dumped so I know it had to be on the tape.  I used th=
> "n" for the device file 'sa0' so the tape would remain where it is afte=
> dumping each filesystem, as opposed to rewinding and the overwriting an=
> previous dump.

Sounds as though you have restored from the first file on tape. The dumps=
 are
not identified on tape so whatever dump file is found is restored to the=20
current location.

>      I know there has to be more filesystems on the tape besides "/"
> because when I did a "mt -f /dev/sa0 fsf 3" to skip three filesystems
> forward to the "/usr/home" filesystem, I didn't get any errors looking =
for
> it.  So I know it has to be on the tape.

I take it that you issued the command:
   mt -f /dev/sa0 fsf 3
prior to attempting to restore. You might try instead:
   mt -f /dev/nsa0 fsf 3

Malcolm