Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2000 13:40:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        Heredity Choice <stork@QNET.COM>
Cc:        Philipp Huber <uebs@gmx.at>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Ink Jet Printing in FBSD???

I am not so sure of your assertion.  A quick check of the Lexmark web site
says that the 5700 emulates PCL3 and that it can be used with DOS
applications.  They recommend that DOS applications use a DeskJet 500C driver
to print to the printer.  The printer also appears to be supported under
OS/2.

Gene

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Heredity Choice wrote:

>  I also have a Lexmark 5700 printer and wrote to Lexmark asking how it can be
>  used with FreeBSD. They said it is "host dependant," meaning it is a
>  WINprinter that requires a driver which utilizes the computer's CPU and
>  cannot be used under FreeBSD. This is true of all Lexmark inkjet printers
>  but not the Lexmark Optra, which is a laser printer.
>
>  I think the only way to print to a Lexmark 5700 from FreeBSD is through a
>  Windows printserver.
>
>  There are some Hewlett Packard inkjet printers, including all the older
>  ones, which work with DOS, and will probably work with FreeBSD. A Macintosh
>  printer might do well. You can also get some leads by searching on the
>  Internet for "Linux printers."  As for the Lexmark 5700, it can be used for
>  a planter or a rather cumbersome paperweight.
>
>  Paul Smith

         Tetron Software, LLC
    http://www.tetronsoftware.com
FreeBSD  Apache  PostgreSQL  Oracle 8/8i
Windows 95/98/NT  Visual C  Visual Basic