Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 12:46:13 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpr/lpd and HP networked printers

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, J Wunsch wrote:
> As dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:
> > You didn't say what printer name you were printing to on the HP. As I
> > remember there are two names HP supports, "text" and "raw". Forgot
> > which was considered default. But if you had an old Sun that was able
> > to print without this banner page then maybe one of these devices
> > doesn't include the banner?
>
> No, both print the d*mned banner page.
>
> But, some HP proprietary protocol on a weird port predates the use of
> lpd in JetDirects.  I forgot the port number, i think the protocol
> itself was fairly simple (just open a TCP connection, and dump your
> data down to the printer).  Maybe the Sun was using this method.

No, it was using lpr (and it wasn't a Sun, it was an Acorn RiscIX machine!).

Maybe I didn't make this clear: having looked at the protocol, I find I
can suppress the banner page when printing from a FreeBSD machine too, so
long as I use "lpr -h".  The printer is obeying the "L" command code in
the print job control file (both the HP and Intel devices do so).

The problem is that with hundreds of users, printing via many different
methods (manual lpr, from netscape, via Samba, via PC-NFS etc.) getting
the "-h" into all the applicable config files/user's brains is impractical.
If lpd is printing locally to a printer, it observes the "sh" capability
and overrides the "L" command.  However, if it is printing to a remote
printer, it just transfers the control file unchanged and "sh" has
no affect whatever.