Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 22:57:10 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        adam palitz <adampalitz@earthlink.net>
Cc:        free bsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A couple of questions

[I realize you are using Outlook Express, and I do feel pity, but
please try to wrap your lines at < 80 columns. Each of your points is
all on one line.]

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 05:40:10PM -0700, adam palitz wrote:
> 1. When I use pkg_add, where does the system put the newly installed package? I seem to recall there being a specific directory where all installed packages are kept?

In general, ports and packages will be installed in the /usr/local
hierarchy. See the hier(7) manpage for how things are _supposed_ to
work. But since ports and packages are third party products maintained
by a diverse group of people, these rules are sometimes bent or
broken.

However, you may be asking where the _information_ about the port or
package is stored. This is kept in /var/db/pkg.

> 2. I'm trying to install fvwm95.0.2..(can't remember exactly) I unpack the package , and then my book says that I have to add fvwm to a .xinitrc file ...does it matter where this file is located?, and how exactly should I type fvwm into the file...should I use fvwm2 as the book does? or should I type fvwm95, or should I type the entire named as it appeared on the archive?

The .xinitrc file should be in your home directory. I believe you need
to type 'fvwm95' to start fvwm95. I do not have it installed, so I am
not sure. I do have fvwm2 installed, and the executable is called
'fvwm2.'

I should point out here that many ports and packages relating to X
programs and utilities may install themselves in the /usr/X11R6
hierarchy rather than /usr/local. Look in /usr/X11R6/bin for the name
of your fvwm95 executable.

See the fvwm95(1) manpage for more details.

> 3.   4.0 comes with a script that automaticaly installs fvwm, and creates a .xinitrc ...what is the command/program that I use to run a script?

It does? How to run a script depends on what type of script it is. If
the file is set executable, it is likely you can just type,

  ./filename

At the prompt to run it. If it is not executable, look at the first
line. Does it have '#!/some/path/here'? If so, use the program
specified in the path to execute the script. For example, if it starts
with,

  #!/bin/sh

You run the file with,

  sh filename

If it says,

  #!/usr/bin/perl

Try,

  perl filename

Or you could make the script executable... But let's not overwhelm you
any more. :)

Good luck.