Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 1995 14:05:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au (Stephen McKay)
Cc:        swallace@ece.uci.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: SYSCALL IDEAS [Was: cvs commit: src/sys/kern sysv_msg.c sysv_sem.c

> >We need a better way to handle these syscall subcodes (as SYSV calls 'em).
>
> Is it not true that this System V stuff can be written as library routines
> that use BSD facilities such as mmap() and sockets?  I would be happy to see
> the effort expended this way so that I can keep my kernel free of such cruft.

This assumes:

1)	The SYSV code uses shared libraries
2)	Someone (you?) has written library replacements so that
	real SYSV shared libraries need not be used
3)	No one is interested in running statically linked IBCS2
	binaries, only dynamically linked ones.

At present, I believe all of these are, in part or in whole, wrong.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.