Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 20:40:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Zachary Drew <drew0054@tc.umn.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   natd being used as a gateway...security risk?

i'm using a natd box (freebsd) to share one ip address among several
machines. the natd box has is multihomed with 2 NICs (one private one
public). The public network is considered hostile (its on a university
network).

i wondered if i could use my machine as a gateway from another machine
on the universities network (making that other machine appear to be my
machine) and it turns out i can. The other host i tried this from is on
the same subnet as I. I could login to machine and check where i logged in
from... it would appear that i loged in from the natd host.

so is running natd like this a security risk? people can simply change
their ip address and make an attack apear to be coming from my ip address?

could people outside my subnet use my machine as a gateway? How should i
go about fixing this? Should the natd man pages warn of this?

thanks

zach