Date:      03 Oct 2002 09:33:39 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Cc:        swear@attbi.com, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Doc update

Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com> writes:

> >Try handbook.txt (two occurances) and loader(8) and kget(8).
> That's not a whole heck of a lot of information on kernel.conf,
> I just looked.  Is it really something we are meant to modify or
> is it something that get's changed by another program?

(A blank line between a quote and your original text would be nice.)

The only helpful mention of kernel.conf in the Handbook is quite clear
that users are meant to modify it.

> Perhaps this is more of a new thing to put on the list of
> "things that should be documented better" than as a third option
> for avoiding kernel compiles?

But that's precisely what it's for.  From the Handbook:
    ... (an automated script which does the things you would
        normally do in the kernel boot-time configurator)

> As for the two ways of avoiding kernel compiles, this is something
> I could write about if I knew what other people do (I just do snd/pcm
> and apm -- I'd like to know what else you can get away with).  I won't
> have a GENERIC kernel back again until I am in the throws of installing
> 4.7-RELEASE, but that will be soon and will give a good opportunity to
> try things out.

Don't confuse the bigger topic of avoiding kernel compiles with the
narrower topic of loading kernel modules (or of setting sysctl values
which can also head-off a kernel recompile).  You SEEM to only be
concerned with module loading.

As for that, I suspect that most people build custom kernels and/or rely
on auto-loading modules to be loaded when needed and/or load modules
in rc.local or somewhere.  And some use loader.conf, of course.

I see that I've got one auto-loaded module (linux.ko) and one non-auto-
video mode is asked for, which it is.  (I could pre-load it with
loader.conf, but I'd "need" to remember to remove it when I change the
video mode to one which doesn't need vesa.ko -- and I didn't know it
could be done in loader.conf until this thread.)