Date:      Sat, 4 Mar 2000 18:27:08 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Jeff Bond <jeff@pixelfusion.co.uk>
Cc:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>, "questions@freebsd. org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RAM requirements for 3.3-RELEASE installation

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 09:21:04AM -0000, Jeff Bond wrote:

> I'm not really slagging Redhat off, it's just that FreeBSD seems much
> leaner and meaner, and simpler to configure than Redhat.  I think
> Redhat is trying to do everything 'automagically', making it simpler
> for the novice user, but it's a pain in the arse on a small machine.

RedHat needs a bit tweaking to make it run with small memory, since the
default setup fires up a hell of a lot more services than a minimum
install of FreeBSD.

But once inetd.conf is edited, and some /etc/rc.d scripts are removed
(so that those extra services are not started at boot time
automagically) it seems to run nicely even on 8 Mb.

Bearing in mind the nice way that FreeBSD works, even when way into
swap, it might be that with less memory you get to see why FreeBSD's vm
system is more beautiful :)

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public PGP key: finger keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr