Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:22:32 -0500
From:      JKtheOWL@aol.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing BSD from a directory in DOS

Greetings;
I am experiencing difficulty in installing FreeBSD. The install script I'm
using is on the
floppy, and is "boot.flp" (downloaded and works fine). "Fips" utility also
did its job as well.

The problem comes when the install process warns that it cannot find any of
the FreeBSD files downloaded (from ftp6 site referenced in your web pages)
and stored in a DOS directory "c:\freebsd". The various documents on
installation both downloaded and with the install software indicate that
copying from a CDROM or other media to such a directory is sufficient.

What has been downloaded is the contents of the 2.1.5 release bin, docs, and
manpages directories of the ftp site. Some of the file names cannot be the
same as under your directories.

What is this installation program looking for and what should the file look
like and be? I would appreciate any suggestions that you may have. I had some
experience with UNIX about 10 years ago, but remember little.

Thanks,  John