Date:      Sun, 09 Dec 2001 17:25:23 -0500
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "Ken Seggerman" <suleyman@echonyc.com>, "questions@FreeBSD.org" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Win2000 clobbered my boot sector

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001 09:45:08 -0500 (EST), Ken Seggerman wrote:

>Greetings:
>
>I have a machine with a 10GB drive and a 40GB drive. The 10GB had
>Windows NT taking up the whole drive, and the second drive is partitioned
>in two with FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE, and Linux 2.4.
>
>All three co-existed on my machine, booteasy only saw NT and FreeBSD, so I
>had to boot Linux from a floppy.
>
>I recently installed Windows 2000 Professional (to my deep regret) and
>found that booteasy is gone, the old NT OS Chooser is gone and I have no
>way to boot into FreeBSD. Booting Linux from the floppy still works.
>
>Booting from a kern.flp, and interrupting the boot sequence and typing in
>boot:1:ad(1,a) no longer works, as it once did.
>
>Is there any way I can get FreeBSD back?

you can go into the /stand/sysinstall and re-create freebsd's MBR on
the master drive, or you could switch your boot drive in the bios, at
least depending on your bios.. my abit kt7a will let me boot from
pretty much any drive on my system

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 6E7B 9993 B503 6D45  E33A 2019 26E5 C1DB