Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:12:50 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dell inspiron 7500 X server

Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com> wrote:

> While I'm waiting for my copy of the XI server
> is there a setup that is recommended that gives at least  an X window,
> even if it's only 800x600?

     If you're very, very, VERY desperate, you could try my kludged-up,
nearly unusably-buggy X server.  It works in either 1400x1050 or
1024x768 modes.  Problems include:

* As I'm the only one using it, it has not gotten much testing, and so
  I'm stamping it with the nasty caveat:

    DANGER!  Although I do not know of any such problems with the software
    in this kit, it is possible for software to damage the LCD
    display/circuitry in some laptops.  Be aware that this software might
    cause physical damage to your laptop, which could be very expensive to
    repair.  Use this software at your own risk.

* Window corruptions occur after an hour or two of use.  I think this is
  a generic XFree86 bug in the Mach64 server.  Unfortunately, I don't
  have the time to fix this, assuming I could even track it down; I'm
  going to try to hold out for a real XFree86 release that supports the
  ATI Mobility-P chipset.

* You've got to apply a trivial, but kludgy/ugly, kernel patch.

That said, you can get a copy as:

	ftp://ftp.sonic.net/pub/users/darrylo/freebsd/XFree86-3.3.5-FreeBSD-3.3-Inspiron7500.tar.gz

This version will work under -3.3 and -current.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com