Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:49:07 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD Documenters <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do I convert PostScript to .gif?

On Sunday, 20 December 1998 at 17:23:59 +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> Sorry if this is somewhat off-topic; it's not as much so as it seems.
> I have some PostScript diagrams that I'd like to use on a web page,
> so I need them in .gif (or is there something else?  The only other
> one I know is .jpeg, which isn't appropriate for line drawings).
>
> I've tried converting with xv, but the resolution is ridiculous (about
> 72 dpi, I'd guess), and ghostscript doesn't seem to be able to output
> gif.  I'd be grateful for any other suggestions.

Thanks for the various answers.  It turns out that they didn't help,
because all the solutions used Ghostscript for to conversion from
PostScript, and Ghostscript will use 72dpi by default.

The solution I chose was to find a convenient resolution (in my case,
about 200 dpi) and use that to convert to a ppm file.  The files are
*ridiculously* large, about 50 MB for a relatively small image, and by
default Ghostscript uses /tmp as its temporary directory.  You can
override the directory with the TEMP environment variable, so what I
finally wrote was:

  $ TEMP=. gs -sDEVICE=ppm -r200x200 pic2.ps

Greg