Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:09:04 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Rezamys <rezath@tm.net.my>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrade 3.1 release to 3.2 stable via CTM

Rezamys wrote:

> Hello Stephen,
> Thanks for the swift response. I will follow the advise given.  However
> there's this thing bothering me.
> The question is:  You say; "make sure that usr/src" directory is complete
> empty". If one were to go there one will find many other directories inside.
> For example in my usr/src i will see things likebin/, contrib/,games/, sys/
> and many others...
> Maybe u mean delete all the directories inside src?  If my understanding is
> correct I'll need to spend most of the time deleting all those directories
> under src. It's a lot. And without these directories would it corrupt the OS
> as complete program?
> Please highlight.
> TQ

Yes, I mean delete all those subdirectories.  But it is not so hard:

cd /usr/src
rm -rf *

will do it.  Well, it will take a little time, maybe a minute or so
(unless you have softupdates in which case it will be a few seconds).

Applying ctm will recreate all these directories.
The OS needs nothing in /usr/src to operate.

(If you have a custom kernel in sys/i386/conf, maybe you want to save it first.)

--

Stephen Montgomery-Smith              stephen@math.missouri.edu
307 Math Science Building             stephen@showme.missouri.edu

Phone (573) 882 4540