Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 19:26:43 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        damon blom <damon@lanset.com>
Subject:   Re: 3C509-TP Ethernet

At 02:02 PM 1/27/02 -0800, damon blom wrote:
>   Thank's so much! Seems only to work with irq3
>    device ep0 at isa? port 0x40d0 irq 3
>    but then my dial out sio1 won't work.
>    I'll try to set bios.
>         damon

Damon,

If I remember right, the configuration program has an "Auto-configure"
function that will automatically choose available settings. (I am not
referring to Plug and Play [PnP]. The auto-configure function will choose
available settings for you and leave the card in Legacy ISA mode.) If
choosing the IRQ manually results in another device breaking, try using the
auto-configure function and you should be all set.

Make sure the IRQ that you select in the configuration program is set to
"Manual" in your system BIOS so the system knows that the IRQ cannot be
allocated to Plug and Play devices. That should get your system up and running!

The 3C509 is actually capable of Plug and Play and does not have to be
manually configured as a legacy ISA device. I haven't had any problems with
PnP operation, but many people have recommended that PnP be disabled and
the card configured manually, so I will defer to them; probably best to put
it in legacy ISA mode and not use PnP.

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM