Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:51:42 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Shawn Barnhart <swb@grasslake.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Local FTP install & local cvs?

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 10:09:44PM -0500, Shawn Barnhart wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:
>
> > The standard install floppies download compiled and archived code in
> > the from the x.x-RELEASE directories on the FreeBSD ftp sites. They do
> > not download from "source." The easiest way to have a local
> > release ready for installation from floppy over ftp is to take a
> > FreeBSD CDROM, mount it on a machine, and make the CD accessible over
> > ftp. If you don't have the CDROM, download a full copy of the
> > x.x-RELEASE tree from a ftp site. And if you _really_ want to be cool,
> > build from source and make your own release locally.
>
> This seems trivial, in a sense.  Are there any docs on where it starts to
> look for files in the tree?  My past experience with something similar (RH
> Linux about 4 releases ago) was that there was zero documentation on where
> the fsck'n installer started looking for files.  Some like to assume the same
> dir structure from the top on down, meaning creating
> pub/foo/blurfl/X.X-RELEASE.

If you want to do it that way, I believe the path would be,

  /pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.0-RELEASE

Or whatever you'd like in place of 4.0-RELEASE. However, you can
specify your own path during the install.

> > I also have one machine dedicated to serving source (2.2.8, 3.4, 4.0,
> > and PAO) and the ports tree for the others (I have about 6 FreeBSD
> > machines at the location). This is easy. Just CVSup on the server as
> > instructed in the many guides and examples and just make the tree NFS
> > mountable. The same goes for allowing access to an obj-tree over NFS.
>
> Explain this further.  The cvsup part is simple, I do that all the time
> (over and over).  Is really a matter of just NFS exporting /usr/src?

For me it is.

> What I'd like to be able to do is use cvsup on the slave machine, but point
> it at the master machine.

I don't understand what this means.

> My machines aren't all on the same local LAN or
> even in the same part of the country.  Having to NFS mount a source tree and
> use it remotely (which is what I think you were suggesting) isn't practical,
> but having them cvsup from an internal machine would be.
>
> Even having machines on the same LAN cvsup from an internal machine would be
> great -- there isn't a single cvsupX.freebsd.org machine less than 15 hops
> from me, and two are 19.

Again, a bit confused by this. First you say your machines are NOT on
one LAN then you say they are?

But you think you want to set up your own CVS repository? That is
non-trivial, but there are many docs on the topic. Never done it
myself, so I can't be of too much help.

> > I am not aware of any cookbook docs for doing these two things in one
> > place. The hardest part about setting up the ftp installs is getting
> > the ftp serving configured. There are many docs about that, see
> > ftpd(8) for a start. Getting the source served has two parts: (1)
> > getting CVSup going and (2) setting up the NFS. Each is documented in
> > the Handbook and in manpages in several places.
>
> Oh, exports(5) and ftpd(8) are familiar enough.  I can probably sort out the
> install bit.  Being my own CVS master for slaves is probably going to
> require much more knowledge about CVS than I have (which is kind of like
> saying the Jupiter is much bigger than Earth).

You might consider the possibility of doing the buildworld on your
server, doing a make release, and then doing sysinstall-style upgrades
over ftp if CVS servers are too much.