Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 01:43:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Doug Denault <doug@safeport.com>
To:        Geoff Ludwiczak <ludwicza@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sound card problem (CMI8330)

First I assume you looked up your card in the handbook to see if is
supported or their are any special considerations.

I am confused as to what you have tried. From your first post it seems
like at least 3 configurations:

1) options PNPBIOS
   device pcm
   device sbc

pcm0: <CMI8330> at port 0x530-0x537,0x388-0x38f irq 11 drq 0 on isa0

I presume that this is an acceptable configuration for your card. If not
you have to go the non-PNP route which probably means  specifically
assigning irqs to remove the conflict(s) you mention.

If I read your email correctly, this configuration gets no dmesg errors
but does not play MP3s. Correct? If so did you try

         cat file > /dev/dsp0

If that makes some strange noises, then the setup is okay, the application
is the problem.

2) Not using PNP.

You need to specifically assign irq's to resolve the resource conflicts.

You might try the hardward list. I have it doing back to May; there are a
few posts on getting sound to work..