Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 03:41:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ben Pepa <bpepa@msn.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   logging to wtmp problems

Hello Everyone,

I recently upgraded one of our servers from 2.2.5-R to 3.0-RELEASE.
Installation went flawlessly except now I noticed that when I use the last
command, I get a screen full of strange charactors and some things don't
line up in proper columns.  I rotated the log files, it worked for a while and
came back to this.  It also works to delete /var/log/wtmp and touch a new
one but it seems to get corrupted often.

Any Ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Ben

--
Here is an example:

1†6ttyp3        10.7     a                Thu Jul 28 15:50   still logged in
¹†6ttyp2                 a                Thu Jul 28 15:50   still logged in
10.7             192.168. 833              Wed Dec 31 16:00   still logged in
root             ftp      10.7             Sun Feb  8 11:55   still logged in
bpepa            ttyp1    192.168.10.7     Sun Dec 27 01:24   still logged in
bpepa            ttyd1                     Sun Dec 27 00:48   still logged in

wtmp begins Sun Dec 27 00:48:33 1998