Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 2000 01:40:42 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <troy@picus.com>
To:        "Doug Barton" <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        <webmaster@wmptl.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: IP vs CNAME

** -----Original Message-----
** From: Doug Barton
**
** Troy Settle wrote:
**
** > Uh... MX has nothing to do with the web hosting side of things.
**
** 	Man... I wish that were true. People who own domain names
** want custom DNS
** records associated with them. MX records are one of the most common
** requests.

MX records point to the mail server.  This can be in the same domain or
not, it makes no difference at all.  I suggest you read up on DNS
configurations.

>From my experience, most customers couldn't comprehend what an MX record
is.  All they care about, is that their customers are able to access their
web site at http://www.domain.com, and that their customers can email them
at someone@domain.com.

Nevermind that the primary MX for domain.com points to mail.isp.net, it
makes no damned bit of difference at all.

**
** > As for your basic DNS config, there's absolutely nothign
** wrong with the
** > following:
**
** 	Except that it doesn't work. There's no SOA record, and

Oh man...  you like to pick nits.  I didn't think I'd have to go quite so
far as to bore everyone with an SOA record.  But since you insist:

@       IN      SOA     ns1.isp.net. hostmaster.isp.net. (
              2000060401  10800  3600  3600000  86400 )
        IN    MX  10   mailhost.isp.net.
        IN    MX  20   spooler.isp.net.
        IN    NS       ns1.isp.net.
        IN    NS       ns2.isp.net.
@       IN    CNAME    webhost.isp.net.
www     IN    CNAME    webhost.isp.net.
mail    IN    CNAME    mailhost.isp.net.

Happy now?  I trust that you won't find too much wrong with the SOA
record, I did it from memory.

** you can't combine
** CNAME RR's and other RR's for the same host.

Actually, I don't use CNAMEs that often, and never realized this.  Yes, I
use one IP per hosted domain, thank you.

-Troy