Date:      Fri, 09 Mar 2001 23:29:27 +1100
From:      "Bruce Piper" <bruce_piper@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Routing question

Hi there
I have just added a second router to my network. The existing router (slow)
has a fixed (public) IP address and all the addresses on my LAN are public
static addresses. The new router is much faster but uses NAT to map a single
IP address from my ISP onto my internal network.

On my FreeBSD boxes, if I change the 'default router' to the address of the
new router internal access from these boxes to the internet is much faster.
However mail and web access from outside into my network (which come via the
fixed IP address of the slow router) don't get through, I presume because
when the FreeBSD boxes reply they send their reply to the default router
which is the new one which is not the one that the requests have come
through on (if you follow me...).

My question is, is there any way to have a number of routers on my network,
each of which has access to the internet, and ensure that people accessing
the network externally via the fixed IP address and associated domain names
get their requests served properly, but by default from those same servers
they use the fast link except where absolutely necessary. Or am I completely
confused?

Many thanks for any assistance
Bruce Piper