Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:28:15 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Tomek <tomek@mpionline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird ns.freebsd.org DNS problem

>I'm sorry, I misposted that last one, here it is correctly:
>
>Hello there,
>The domain movierate.com is supposed to point to 209.115.240.249, and my
>FreeBSD run DNS (builtin namedb) shows it as such BUT ns.freebsd.org
>shows a non-authoritative answer as 209.115.240.247. Other servers (such
>as ns1.earthlink.net, ns2, ns3, but not ns4.earthlink.net) show the same
>247 address.
>
>(our DNS server is ns.mpionline.com or ns.movierate.com)
>
>It has been like this a LONG time, making movierate.com basically
>unreachable to half the world, and I have tried everything from changing
>serial numbers of domain info to cname aliasing, and even changing
>registrars.
>
>PLEASE HELP, I'm at a complete loss with this one. Why is it pointing to
>the wrong place? How can I force a name server to update itself from the
>authoritative answer?

   The problem is caused by Network Solutions/Verisign having a HOST record
for movierate.com. You need to delete the HOST record in their database in
order to fix the problem.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.