Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 22:15:31 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Tom Jackson <toj@gorillanet.gorilla.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: locking against myself (on very straight kernel)

On Sat, May 23, 1998 at 06:00:36PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Got this also with sysinstall. As far as I can see, /stand/sysinstall is
> > unuesable for setting slices and partitions. After I manually set a sd1s1e
> > partition, devfs/slice chokes on it. I've learned the hard way *NOT* to run
> > fsck on the partition when slice chokes on a partition ;->
>
> Any attempt to use sysinstall with the new SLICE or DEVFS code is
> almost certainly doomed to fail since it has not been made aware of
> those additions, nor are their semantics 100% backwards compatible
> with the previous.

Sorry I if didn't Cc: you on this previously.

libdisk doesn't work with DEVFS/SLICE.  It is not just 'almost
certain' - it plain doesn't work, and it won't work until we've done
either a compatibility hack in SLICE, or have updated libdisk to work
with SLICE.  I think the a compatibility hack would be the wrong
solution - the two models don't map too well on each other.

Julian is in favour of making libdisk walk /dev/ and pick out
information that way - I'm not certain that is a good idea, either,
but I agree that the right part to upgrade is libdisk.

The panic() is probably due to a bug in the locking semantics for
mount(), and some way sysinstall doing wrong calls.  I got a patch
from Tor Egge to fix the kernel end of this (so it won't panic()).

Eivind, who did his homework this time :-)