Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 19:48:59 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel config, spl*() and interrupt masks

With the switch from processor interrupt levels to masks, is it still
useful to be able to specify the interrupt level (now mask) in the
kernel config file?  Doesn't this just give the user one more way to
blow his foot off? For something e.g. config'ed as a tty in the config
file per default, spltty() will be used in the top half of that driver
anyway, and the user has no way to force it to still be blocked by
this call.

And while we're at it - I've had to have a device driver blocked by
both spltty() and splimp() - is there a better/more correct way to do
this than having the driver call INTRMASK() on both tty_imask and
net_imask?  This method seem like quite a nasty hack, relying on
things it shouldn't - but the driver has to be in both masks, as it
rely on structures in the generic parts of the kernel protected by
both spltty() and splimp().

Eivind.