Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:28:05 +0000
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
Cc:        Kevin K <kkutzko@teksavvy.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re:more than 4gb of RAM (configurations)

--=-80eh3PDK5ASikESng7F9

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 13:41 -0500, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2008 5:10 PM, Kevin K <kkutzko@teksavvy.com> wrote:
>=20
> > I have a box that we recently installed 16GB of RAM on. The box is i386
> > FreeBSD 6.2. It only recognizes 4gb.
>=20
>=20
> Siding with most of the group (go amd64), I'll add my own comment:
>=20
> Using PAE to access 4G of  RAM  (because 4G shows up as 2.5 to 3.5 gig,
> depending on the motherboard) under i386 is a reasonable solution, IMHO.
> Maybe even 6 gig or 8 gig... if you're trying to extend the life of an ia=
32
> server.
>=20
> But with amd64 supporting ia32 binaries well, it seems the only reason le=
ft
> might be drivers --- except ... are there _any_ drivers that support PAE =
and
> _not_ amd64?
>=20

We use this system while we slowly port our 32 bit code to 64 bit. There
are some outstanding unresolved issues running 32 bit binaries on 64 bit
(or at least, on 6.2-RELEASE-p8).

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-stable@freebsd.org/msg94092.html

This should be fixed, although I've not tested whether 7.0 (and the
change to gcc 4.2.1) might fix this anyway.

Tom

--=-80eh3PDK5ASikESng7F9

--=-80eh3PDK5ASikESng7F9--