Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:14:21 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Remington" <madriax@garlic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie Q: make world

> From: "Remington" <madriax@garlic.com>
> Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 15:04:19 -0800
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Ok im having some problems with with make world. Im upgradeing from
> 4.4-RELEASE to 4.5-STABLE. I cvsupped 4.5 and began with the following
> Commands(first checked to make sure my /etc/group had the proper groups
> from /usr/src/etc/group)
> #cd /usr/src ; make buildworld
> Recompiled my custom kernel, only added "device pcm"
> #cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/ ; /usr/sbin/config build2
> #cd ../../compile/build2
> #make depend ; make ; make install
> #shutdown -r now
> Everything went smoothly in compiling the kernel
> #cd /usr/src ; make installworld
> Everything went fine, then I tried updating my /etc using mergemaster:
> #mergemaster -m /usr/src/etc -D /etc
> Redid my /dev
> #cp /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV /dev
> #cd /dev ; sh MAKEDEV all
> #shutdown -r now
>
>    OK now I have a massive amount of problems. First I have defined in
> my /etc/rc.conf: "allscreens_flags="80x50 -c blink". It no longer
> changes my resolution on startup. I tried issueing #vidcontrol 80x50 but
> it spits out an error
>    My mouse isnt working in the console. I have "moused_enable="YES"
> defined in my rc.conf but no mouse.
>    I presume its something I did in mergemaster. Can anyone offer me any
> help? Id give alittle more detail but I deleted FBSD and I plan on doing
> the hole make process later tonight

You need to follow the rules in the handbook or UPDATING. cd to the
conf directory and doing a config is not the correct thing to do after
a buildworld as the kernel and userland will be out of sync.

cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make kernel KERNCONF=build2
[reboot to single user]
fsck -p
mount -a -t ufs
cd /usr/src
make installworld
mergemaster
(mergemester will prompt you to run MAKEDEV if there were edits to
MAKEDEV.)
[reboot to multi-user]

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)