Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 23:16:34 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Edwin Culp <eculp@mexcom.net>
Cc:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mounting Remote Fat & NTFS partions in FreeBSD 2.2.2

In the last episode (Sep 01), Edwin Culp said:
> Wes Peters wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Jonathan E. Lyons wrote:
> >  % Is it possible to mount a remote Fat/NTFS partion in Freebsd
> >  % 2.2.2? I've used samba to map BSD partions to my Win95/NT
> >  % machines, but I'm wondering can samba map a remote Fat/NTFS
> >  % volume under say /usr/home/?
> >
> > I remember seeing somebody mention an LKM for this a month or two
> > ago. Any help?
>
> Does smbmount exist in FreeBSD? I've used it in linux successfully
> although not in a mission critical situation.

There is a SMB client in ports called rumba (/ports/net/rumba).  It is
implemented as a user-level NFS server, and works okay for occasional
file access.  You run "rumba //machine/share /mountpoint", and it
mounts the remote share.  There are commandline options for specifying
who you log in as, and what owner/permissions to display on the Unix
side.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com