Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2008 05:09:14 -0600
From:      Alec Kloss <alec-keyword-freebsd.org.a6e2e4@SetFilePointer.com>
To:        "Bruce R. Montague" <brucem@mail.cruzio.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware support for AMD Geode CS5536 audio?

--Yylu36WmvOXNoKYn

On 2008-01-22 22:34, Bruce R. Montague wrote:
>=20
> Hi, I wrote the geode audio driver for the CS5530
> (found at the mentioned link), a good while back,
> I think for FreeBSD 4.x.
>=20
> This week is the first time I've received any feedback
> on this driver, a couple of pings along the line of
> the above. I honestly hadn't realized anybody was
> using it (I guess that's the problem with it working).
> If there was a thread last february, I must have
> missed it. I dont think I've ever seen the soundsystem
> wiki.=20

http://wiki.freebsd.org/soundsystem

My googling may be mistaken about a thread last February.

> I would try to fix/upgrade this driver if I had any
> hardware with a CS5536, but I don't. That said, can
> anyone recomend a cheap system that includes the
> CS5536, is generally available, doesn't cost very
> much and can be used as a minimal dev platform?
> (Surely all the OLPC work has made some interesting
> such systems available?) Or would anyone want to
> donate a "free" current AMD Geode reference
> platform? :)

The specific device I'm targeting is a "koolu",
http://www.koolu.com.  Nice Canadians, $200 US for a unit without a
drive.  Very linuxy.  Unfortunately, it has no serial ports, so
debugging is pretty limited.  I can donate network access to one,
and can loan you one for the duration of your work on it.  If you
want network access, email me an ssh key off-list, or if you want
one to put your hands on, email me an address off-list.

> Even with hardware, it would probably be at least
> a month before I had time to look at it. Someone
> who knew FreeBSD drivers could probably fix it in
> a few compiles, if 5536 device-specific initialization
> is the problem.

Beggars can't be choosers, so any time you donate to this project
would be appreciated by me anyway.

--=20
Alec Kloss  alec@SetFilePointer.com   IM: angryspamhater@yahoo.com
PGP key at http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=3Dget&search=3D0xA241980E