Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:51:41 -0700
From:      "Scott Lampert" <scott@lampert.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Bridging issue

    I sent this question to -security last week and garnered not a single
response so I hope that maybe I'll have better luck here.

    I have a box I've setup as a bridging firewall with ipfw on 4.4-RELEASE.
It has 3 interfaces - two are bridged, without IP addresses, and the third
has an IP address and is connected to the inside network.  Basically it
looks like this:

   +----------+
   | Internet |
   +-*--------+

  +--*------------+
  |               |192.168.1.2/24
  |  Firewall Box *-------+
  |               |       |
  +--*------------+       |
     | bridge inside if   |
     |                    |
     |                  +-+-------+         +---------------+
     +------------------| Switch  |---------| other systems |
                        +---------+         +---------------+

I hope the poor ascii art helps rather than hinders. :)  In any event, I've
noticed after running the firewall for a few hours that I start getting the
following message in my dmesg output:

arp: 00:aa:bb:cc:dd:ee is using my IP address 192.168.1.2!
xx ouch, bdg_forward for local pkt

The box is complaining about that third interface having its IP.  It looks
like it doesn't realize that the interface belongs to itself.  Is this
normal behavior or have I misconfigured something?  Do I need to add the
third interface to the bridge configuration somehow?  This exact
configuration runs without any complaints under OpenBSD 2.9 however for
various reasons I'd prefer to run FreeBSD on this box. If more information
is required I'd be more than happy to provide it.  Thanks,

            -Scott