Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:53:04 +0300
From:      Tzanetos Balitsaris <tzabal@it.teithe.gr>
To:        soc-status@freebsd.org
Cc:        eadler@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Status Report - Week 03] Automated Kernel Crash Reporting System

Work done during the third week of coding:

* Create the directory server-side/akcrs-release in my socsvn
repository and branch /base/release/9.0.0 for the Server-side part in
akcrs-release/9.0.0

* Experimenting with Subversion in order to sync merge my branch of
client-side/ackrs-head with /base/head but failed.

* Define and implement my working environment. Using VirtualBox I
created two virtual machines, one running FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT
emulating the client (built with sources from client-side/akcrs-head
of my socsvn repository) and one running FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE emulating
the server (built with sources from server-side/akcrs-release/9.0.0 of
my socsvn repository). Every new feature and change in both sides is
tested using these VMs.

* Read the article "Practical rc.d scripting in BSD" in order to
create the /etc/rc.d/crashreportd daemon.

* Define and try to implement the first tasks of the server side part.
That is,  the security holes that the use of SSH opens and how to
receive the reports that arrive in the server. Create the
/etc/rc.d/crashreportd and the /usr/sbin/crashreportd daemon. The
daemon should start at boot time and check regularly (every X seconds)
the directory (atm /home/reporter) that reports arrive. For every
report the daemon should create a directory in /tmp/name_of_report in
order to perform security and validity checks. Like checking for
malicious code and valid email address. I found some difficulties so I
hope that the above will be fully functional until the next report.
Finally, add three variables to /etc/defaults/rc.conf for the rc.d
script crashreportd.

* Some changes in the Client side part after working on Server side.
Set a unique name for every generated crash report instead of the
generic 'report.tar.gz' in order to avoid overwrites of reports in the
server. Also, fixed a bug in the code for transferring the reports. It
could not accept automatically the fingerprint. Finally, rename the
rc.conf variable 'email' to 'crashreport_email'.

--
Tzanetos Balitsaris