Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 15:14:12 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help with sending a PR

On Sunday,  7 February 1999 at  2:39:34 +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>>
>> Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com> writes:
>>> I've made a small enhancement to csh(1) and want to submit it. Reading
>>> the handbook it says to include patches in the PR (in the FIX section).
>>> What is the best way to do this? Copying and pasting into the browser
>>> will trash TABs, converting them to spaces, so the patch won't work,
>>> unless it's applied with the ``-l'' option.
>>
>> The browser? What browser? Use send-pr and your editor's "include
>> file" command (:r filename<RET> in vi, C-x i filename<RET> in Emacs)
>
> Ah, come on, give me a break, this is the first time I've done this.
>
> I said I'm going to have to do it on-line on the Website, which means
> using a browser. I know how to include a file in vi, but doesn't send-pr
> use sendmail? which I haven't got installed. My only concern is that if
> I enter the diffs by copying & pasting then the TABS will be converted
> to spaces so the patches won't work (without the ``-l'' option).

Hmm.  Doing this with a browser is really rather like sending a boy on
a man's job.  Losing tabs is not such a crisis, but losing line breaks
is, and both browsers and Microsoft's toy mailers like to do that.
This might be a good time to think about setting up mail on your
FreeBSD box.  It's not difficult.  If you can't do that, send me the
text of the PR and ftp the file to ftp://ftp.lemis.com/incoming/, and
I'll do it for you.

Greg