Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:10:11 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Johannes Lundberg <johalun@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: raspberry pi 4

On Wed, 2019-07-10 at 10:30 -0700, Johannes Lundberg wrote:
> On 7/9/19 8:17 PM, Mark Linimon wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 09:52:43AM +0900, Denis Polygalov wrote:
> > > but please let's enhance support of the good OS (FreeBSD)
> > > on a *good* boards.
> >
> > Despite any technical advantages or disadvantages, RPI has the most
> > mindshare, and we would be foolish to avoid it.
>
> Indeed. SBCs come and go. They are EOL before we even have a boot
> prompt. Personally I would like to see a joint effort focused on one
> board and make that work really well. Maybe an incentive would be the
> foundation throwing money at it in the form of rewards for well defined
> sub projects. The one most likely to survive longest is RPI but there
> might be other valid alternatives as well. Thanks to Emmanuel's efforts
> maybe Pine64 is a good alternative? I'm happy to help with graphics if
> we would do such focused effort but as long as we're all over the place
> I don't see much point in contributing with the limited time I have...
>
> Please note, this is not criticism in any way and I'm not trying to
> diminish the work developers do on these boards. Everyone is free to
> work on what they want. Question is, do we want a single board computer
> that's actually usable for something or only as tinker toys? Without
> direction, I'm afraid they will always be half working tinker toys due
> to the limited amount of developers we have.
>
> If anyone disagrees, I welcome your point of view.

What you call a "half working tinker toy" is what we use to build and
ship a dozen different products at $work.  To you, working apparently
means graphics.  To me, I couldn't be less interested in graphics and
it plays no part in a definition of "working".  Developers are going to
work on what they find interesting, or what their employers pay them to
work on.

Trying to assemble a coalition of willing developers to focus on a
single board or family may be a worthy effort.  Trying to make that
some sort of official policy is probably doomed to failure, unless it's
backed with salary-like money (not a few hundred dollars "reward", but
enough money to live on so that it motivates someone to spend more than
hobbyist idle time at it).  Linux doesn't support so many boards
because it has so many more hobbyists at work.  It supports them
because people get paid to write the code.

-- Ian