Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:26:17 -0500
From:      Lanny Baron <lnb@panda.FreeBSDsystems.COM>
To:        Brian Black <bblack304@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing newbe

Hi Brian,
First mistake was purchasing a partition editor. What you need is fips.exe and the documentation. It is on the FreeBSD CDROM. What you must do _before_ anything is, run windows scandisk followed by defrag. It is at that point where you would run fips.exe. But please make sure you have read some of the docs with fips. Fips will repartition your hdd and you can save old partition info but you need the correct files. It has been some time since I personally have done it. I cannot stress enough that the reading of fips doc is crucial in case of something going wrong.

You must also consider the _fact_ that / must be in within the 1024th cylinder. The other filesystems (such as /usr /home /var /tmp and /whatever) can be well beyond the 1024th cylinder.

Assuming you do have the official FreeBSD CDROM, there should be a dir called floppies and one called tools. If memory serves correctly, copy the file fdimage.exe (in /tools i think) to your win box and copy the files (for sure in /floppies) mfsroot.flp and kern.flp to a dir on your win box. Format two floppies (even if they are brand new in a box) and when formatting is done, open a dos prompt and type fdimage -v mfsroot.flp a:   (this assumes when typing fdimage that you are _in_ the dir where the two .flp's are.) then do same for kern.flp (fdimage -v kern.flp a:). Run fips.exe and closely follow the instructions. If you are able to repartition to get the space you want for FreeBSD, then go for it. It will ask you sizes of the remaining partition and the old partition.

When the above is complete and you are satisfied with the new partition scheme, put in kern.flp and reboot. At that point start with the NOVICE installation, and when you get to the partition editor, you will at that point, see the other partitions.

Best of luck,

Lanny
On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 06:36:23PM -0500, Brian Black wrote:
> I had question I want to install freebsd 4.0 on my computer so I purchased Partition Magic 5.0.  Now my question is I currently have a C: drive which is my hard drive a D: drive which is a system save and an E: drive which is my cd rom drive  the total hard drive space I have is 15gb and so far it is divided up something like 4gb for the D:drive and the remainder in the C: drive. I took C:down by 4gb and created a Linux and a Linux swap, I had no problems doing this and it shows up as a Linux partition on the Partition Magic main screen, but when I look at my hard drive thru fdisk the Linux space I created for the Unix OS is under the Extended Partition.  Is this correctly done.  if so where should I go from here, should I install any files  for running the Unix OS in the windows partition  and if not what is my problem, and is there any info on doing this in a little easier terms than the 800 page manual that comes with the OS.
>
> Any response greatly appreciated.
>
>                                    Brian
Lanny Baron
Proud to be 100% FreeBSD
FreeBSD Systems, Inc; Freedom Technologies Corp.
http://www.FreeBSDsystems.COM
1.877.963.1900