Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 23:15:42 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Charles Pelletier" <fozekizer@attbi.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dns server

> curious:
> what advantage is there in building my own dns server over just setting
> static IP's for my internal network? do the advantages really only exist
for
> larger networks (my internal home network consists of only 3 computers
other
> than the gateway)?
> --charlie pelletier
> --litmus(mp3.com/litmus)

It really depends on what purposes your 3 computers are used for.  If
they're all just Windows machines that you use to surf the net, then you
don't really need an internal DNS.

However, if some of your internal machines are servers (running FreeBSD, of
course), then it may be useful to have an internal DNS.

For example, let's take the case of my home network.  I have 5 computers
behind my FreeBSD gateway/firewall machine.  3 are Windows PCs used to surf
and do email; the other two are FreeBSD servers.  Both of these two servers
are web servers where I develop web sites and web-enabled database
applications.  Having an internal DNS allows me to assign "real" names to
these sites so I can surf to them with my Windows PC, instead of surfing to
the IP address and then choosing which site I wanted to access on that
server.

--
Matt Emmerton