Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 13:20:47 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Curious about support for large-sector drives and DVD-RAM

I'm actually a NetBSD user, but I've been  discouraged lately about
the lack of support for drives with more than 512 bytes per sector.
I was wondering whether FreeBSD has any trouble with 1K- or
2K-sectored drives (e.g. MO640).

Also, I'd like to know how well FreeBSD drivers work for DVD-RAM.  I
got a Creative DVD-RAM drive thinking that my OS would be able to
at least handle it with the mkisofs and cdrecord utilities; however,
I found out that cdrecord only works with DVD-R, not DVD-RAM.  I
don't particularly care about the UDF filesystem--I don't need to
read any DVD archives in Windoze--but I would like to use a dynamic
filesystem such as ffs.

And as long as I'm here, is there anybody who has used both flavors
of BSD who can tell me whether there are any administrative
differences (other than supported platforms) between NetBSD and
FreeBSD?  Such as file locations, configuration files (the /etc tree),
package installation, development tools (one of the things that bugs
be about NetBSD's `make' is that it's often incompatible with Gnu
makefiles and vice-versa), disk structure, ...

Whoa-- I was just browsing the FreeBSD Handbook; does VMWare actually
*work* on FreeBSD?!  On NetBSD, I couldn't even get it to INSTALL!

--- Trevin Beattie
She's genuinely bogus.