Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:38:38 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed bus address typedef.

> * Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> [001212 23:20] wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to propose some changes to the way we represent bus addresses, to
> > deal with situations where u_long (IMO not a good choice to begin with)
> > is too small.
>
> Sure sounds like a nescessary change.

It's only "necessary" really in this one case, although I'd like to step
away from "u_long" just because it's so vague.

> > Specifically, I'd like to be able to deal with x86 systems in PAE mode,
> > where physical addresses are 36 bits in size.
>
> Er, don't PAE machines use segmentation registers?  There's no
> 64bit registers are there?

There are no 64-bit registers, no.

> If that's not true, any chance on it becoming a complile time option
> to save cycles on non PAE machines?

That would definitely be a worthwhile optimisation, although it would
lead to nasty binary compatibility issues between PAE and non-PAE driver
modules, for example.