Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 17:33:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        Sanjit Roy <fiber@phy.iitkgp.ernet.in>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how safe is FreeBSD 2.2.5

	FreeBSD is by far more secure then Linux. This type of questions
should go to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org next time
	One day this summer I'll get around to making FreeBSD
Security-howto of some sort. For now see my comments below.

-- Yan

Jan Koum                  jkb@best.com |  "Turn up the lights; I don't want
www.FreeBSD.org -- The Power to Serve  |   to go home in the dark."
                        Linux == DOS of the Unix world.

On Sat, 9 May 1998, Sanjit Roy wrote:

>I need some advise regarding the security level in FreeBSD. Lately, a
>lot of students in my university campus have been into hacking activity.
>I have a Linux (kernel 1.2.8) system on one of my mail gateways and it's
>a piece of cake becoming 'root' on that machine. I immediately need to
>upgrade that to either REDHAT Linux 5.0 or FreeBSD 2.2.5. I have both
>the flavours of unix available with me.
>
>What I want to know is :
>
>1. which of the two is more secure?

	FreeBSD is more secure. You can look at Bugtraq mailing list
archives and at www.rootshell.com

>2. Is shadow util really effective in Linux. Don't know if there's one
>in FreeBSD?

	FreeBSD has shadow password used by default. Always was and always
will. The shadowed file is /etc/master.passwd

	http://www.samag.com/archive/0705/feature.html