Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 04:10:19 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        lowell@world.std.com (Lowell Gilbert)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a dedicated network router?

On 17 Oct 1999 18:33:42 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>Peter Schultz <Peter_Schultz@ndsu.nodak.edu> writes:
>
>> It is our duty to warn you that, even when FreeBSD is configured in this
>> way, it does not completely comply with the Internet standard
>> requirements for routers; however, it comes close enough for ordinary
>> usage.
>those discussions.  [But the short version is: if you haven't already
>read RFC 1918, FreeBSD may well be *better* for your purposes than a
>completely compliant router.  But I'd still recommend reading it.]

Hello,
As someone who uses FreeBSD as a dedicated router, I try and follow any
discussions on routing very closely. I dont recall any such discussion you
refer to i.e. issues pertaining to routing and RFC non publically
advertised prefixes.  Can you ellaborate, or point the list in the right
direction ?  I am very interested in finding out what I missed. I searched
through all of questions for the last year and could not find any messages
that dealt with routing and any special way FreeBSD handles or does not
handle non publically routed IP space.

Thanks,

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)