Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:44:54 +1000
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        mwlucas@exceptionet.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftpd: some clients can list, some cannot

> I've compiled ftpd with INTERNAL_LS=true.  When a user is listed in
> /etc/ftpchroot, they may or may not be able to list the contents of their
> home directory.

I discovered in a smilar situation on a Solaris ftpd that if I typed "ls" it
failed, but "dir" it worked.  Also, some ftp clients worked and some didn't.
The problem was that "dir" used the internal ls, but "ls" was an alias for "ls
-l", and that caused the ftpd to try and run the (non-existent) chroot'd /bin/
ls, even though it had INTERNAL_LS defined.

I assume a similar problem could cause the same behaviour on FreeBSD.

Greg.