Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:06:26 -0400
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@shadowsun.net>
To:        soc-status@FreeBSD.org, "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Status report

This week, I have been working to overcome some difficulties I've
encountered.  In my experimentation with the OVMF firmware and QEMU, I
found that a basic "hello world" type program seems to hang.  However,
upon further investigation, I found that using other EFI calls (notably
the memory allocation functions) does not seem to cause problems.  I
experimented and found that libefi can get through with its
initialization and call main() perfectly fine.

I also checked to see if stack alignment could be the culprit, and it is
not.

In light of this, I began trying to build EDK II and the OVMF image
directly on FreeBSD, since the firmware image I have is over a year old.
  Note that EDK II is designed for windows development, and is only
marginally supported on some linux platforms.  At this point, I've
managed to get the BaseTools to build, and am working on building the
entire thing.  I could potentially turn this into a port, as it would be
a handy thing to have, I think.

Lastly, I'm going to experiment with trying to calculating the entire
required size of the kernel in memory and allocating a single block to
hold the entire kernel.  This should handle the non-contiguous memory
problem.