Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:57:55 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "Jonathan Hilgeman" <JHilgeman@ecx.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Question List" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: New 4.3 Installation Hanging on Cron/Sendmail/Inetd

Jonathan,

Where is your DNS?  On that firewall that you have shut down, perhaps?

I have had sendmail appear to hang during boot if it is unable to talk to
the DNS server for some reason.  It will carry on after a time-out of about
two minutes, which seems like forever when you're sitting looking at it.

I have not seen inetd and cron do the same though.  Or, perhaps you are
confused by the fact that inetd and cron are displayed on the same line
during the boot process - it is actually sendmail that is taking its time.

Patrick.