Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 12:28:27 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        bauerp <bauerp@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: w command appears broke in 4.1

bauerp wrote:

> I have been steadily upgrading my system from 2.2.8 to 4.1 release as it
> comes out.  For some reason the 4.1 update appears to have broken w.  I
> used to be able to see who was logged in but now I cannot.

Delete /var/run/utmp, /var/log/wtmp and /var/log/lastlog

Because the formats of these three files is different between the 2.2.8 and
4.x branches attempting to read them with the new system binaries will
result in the display of what seem to be corrupted entries, and in some
cases may prevent them from working properly. By deleting them before
you reboot you will eliminate this problem. Although in theory the system
should do the right thing and create them again for you, at least for
wtmp and lastlog it does not, so it is safer to touch the files after you
have deleted them. You should take note of their permissions before
deleting them and reset them appropriately after you touch them.