Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 16:18:55 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, neil@causality.com
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Floating point errors

>> ago on my systems).  The technical correctness of this is debatable.
>> It prevents the math libraries from being ANSI conformant, but the math
>> libraries have more serious ANSI conformance bugs.  I don't plan to
>> change the exception handling until the other bugs are fixed.
>
>Are the conformance bugs quite major? We had to write a collection of FP

It depends how the application handlers errors.  errno is usually not set
as specified.  The library attempts to set the IEEE exception masks to
report errors.  This sometimes fails because gcc doesn't fully support
IEEE.  ANSI applications can't use IEEE features anyway.  At best they
can hope that HUGE_VAL is a good value and is returned when specified
(it is), and that weird enough values are returned for range errors.

Bruce