Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 98 11:15:08 -0500
From:      FreeBSD Questions <freebsd@netsys.hn>
To:        "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Null-modem? (was: Re: Re:)

-- [ From: FreeBSD Questions * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> What I was writing about is:
> Our line WITH external leased-line modems attached acts as null-modem
cable
> with the layout mentioned in my posting.
>
> And here is the layout of signals in use between modems and PC's serial
ports
> (from modem docs):
>
> PC's  Direction  Modem's
> port             port
>        --->---   TxD
>        ---<---   RxD
>        --->---   DTR
>        ---<---   DCD
>        -------   SG
>        ---<---   DSR  Always ON when modem power is on
>        ---<---   CTS  Always ON when modem power is on
>                  RTS  Not used
>
> Again, does this need to be accounted for (somehow)?
I'm sorry Igor, but english is not my first language, so what do you mean by
"accounted"?
If you are using modems in a leased line config, yes they act as a null
modem between you and your provider. But, do you want to use modems instead
of a null modem? or do you want to use a null modem instead of modems? What
exactly is the problem you are having?

--
Pablo Quintana
NetSys Dedicated Internet Services