Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2000 15:38:04 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
To:        Kevin Lyons <klyons@corserv.corserv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDi acquisition of Telenet

Kevin Lyons wrote:

> The analogy is not the same.  The comparison would be if VA had its own
> brand of Linux and wanted Dell or someone else to ship them hardware
> to test their brand of Linux.

You mean something like Linus working for transmeta? I think a
relationship will evolve, but the possibilities that something bad
happens are remote. Telenet doesn't make it's own chips, and surely it's
objectives don't include a hardware monopoly.

> Most things occur for a reason.  A thinking man is compelled to gather
> facts and evaluate outcomes so I do not think it is alarmist to ask these
> kinds of questions.

OK, I exaggerated on the "alarmist" issue, I simply couldn't find
another term.

Think in terms of business, the new BSDi has to compete against the many
linux distributions and "added value" companies. The BSD license is a
good advantage in their business, but since they are planning to keep
the development open they need other fields to keep their profit.

cheers,

     Pedro.