Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:13:40 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   FAQ recommends older Nemeth book

At http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/preface.html (as viewed just now) the
last book listed under #BOOKS is very good, but our information about
it is out of date.

I will outline the changes and then quote the section below, but I'm
not in a position to actually author the change. Is someone else
familiar with the book and with the USA price, who has remembered never
to lend out a good book, who could check details and throw a few words
into a diff?

Changes:

The current edition is the third edition, which has a different
coloured cover. (Sorry, I don't have one handy)

Some of the book's topics have been added and deleted, which could
be important to know.

The price would not be the same any more. ISTR paying about $150 for it
here in Australia, but I couldn't guess what it costs elsewhere.

The book doesn't come with a CDROM any more, so it doesn't offer any
of the software it mentions, but it does have a web site for downloading
example policy docs etc.

I don't recall whether or not any of its other authors have changed.

A big difference is that in the third edition everything is explained
in terms of four representative types of unix, FreeBSD being one of
them. That makes it an excellent resource for learning about Unix admin
in general while working with FreeBSD, as well as a being a valuable
reference for all admins.

> A good book on system administration is:
>
> Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, Scott Seebass & Trent R. Hein, `Unix System
> Administration Handbook'', Prentice-Hall, 1995 ISBN:
> 0-13-151051-7
>
>       Note: Make sure you get the second edition, with a red cover,
> instead of the first edition.
>

> This book covers the basics, as well as TCP/IP, DNS, NFS, SLIP/PPP,
> sendmail, INN/NNTP, printing, etc.. It's expensive (approx.
> US$45-$55), but worth it. It also includes a CDROM with the sources for
> various tools; most of these, however, are also on the FreeBSD
> 2.2.6R CDROM (and the FreeBSD CDROM often has newer versions).

The FreeBSD Handbook has a one line listing for this book.
It will also need the edition changed from 2 to 3.

PS
If you ever take this book to work, I suggest putting a plain paper
cover on it with "Writing SGML with ed" on the front so that it
doesn't wander :-)

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-